Friday, December 19, 2008

Weakness and Strength

That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10)

This has been a rough week. It has been filled with stress at work, stress in my family, physical stress in my body, and stress in my soul. At times I have felt on the verge of a panic attack (it's been 9 years since the last, and I was hoping they were gone.) It's been one of those weeks where I feel like I'm not doing anything right, and I can't make anyone happy. In two days, we're leaving to go home to Oregon for Christmas, and nothing seems to be going the way I want it to go. I find myself getting upset that I might not have the Christmas I want to have. I, I, I...

When did Christmas become all about me? When did I become so selfish?

In speaking with a dear friend of mine (everyone needs a mentor!), I was reminded of Paul's words in 2 Corinthians (12:9) after he had repeatedly asked the Lord to remove a difficulty in his life: But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

My grace is sufficient...it's just what I need when I need it. I wonder why it is so easy to expect, even demand, grace from others when I am so often unwilling to give it in return. But God's grace is enough for me...He'll give me the grace I need so I can extend it to others.

Maybe, just maybe, this won't be the Christmas I wanted to have, but it will be the Christmas God knows that I need.

1 comment:

Mary Ann Enns said...

Now you blessed me dear Alaina. Tears and joy. Uplifted thanks to the All-Sufficient Lover of our souls. And thank you so much for the reminder that ... Christmas is about Him. I get so lost in all the trimmings. He is so patient and merciful and has sent me a reminder ... through you, my dear friend. God bless and keep and bring joy this Christmas as you delight in His gift.